The Research Committee has been analyzing the High School survey results from May and below are some of the highlights. A detailed Summary of Results is available on our website.
- 51% of the survey respondents have computer science teaching experience of 15 years or more
- 45% of the teachers reported that computer science courses make up 50-75% of their teaching load.
- 66% of the teachers reported that they are offering a CS principals course
- 79% of the teachers reported that they offer the APCS A course.
- 68% of those who offer APCS A course reported that half of their course enrollment are female, and between 20-40% are underrepresented minorities.
- Majority of the teachers (68%) also reported that CS enrollment has increased in the past 3 years
These statistics are encouraging for the outlook of CS education and what is going on in the High Schools at this time. However, this data is self-reported and we need to examine ways to triangulate the numbers, especially the APCS-A enrollment numbers. We encourage you to view the full summary.
The Research Committee,
Stephanie Hoeppner & Aman Yadav